ELWA is comprised of eight Members, with two appointed annually from each of the four London boroughs. The Members are Councillors within their respective boroughs. Although the eight Members of ELWA are appointed by the boroughs, they are required (when representing ELWA) to act in the interests of ELWA as the Waste Disposal Authority for the combined area.
Role and responsibilities
- Collectively, ELWA Members are the ultimate policy-makers and those responsible for strategic and corporate functions of ELWA. They participate in the governance and management of ELWA and they represent ELWA on other bodies. They have a duty to maintain the highest standards of conduct and ethics and follow a Code of Conduct. They work with the boroughs, influence regional and national partners and respond to consultations.
The ELWA Councillors for 2016/17:
- Chair: Councillor Ken Clark, London Borough of Newham
- Vice Chair: Councillor Sheila Bain, London Borough of Redbridge
- ‘A’ Director ELWA Ltd: Councillor Steven Kelly, London Borough of Havering
- Councillor Lynda Rice, Lead Councillor for London Borough of Barking & Dagenham
- Councillor Jeff Wade, London Borough of Barking & Dagenham
- Councillor Osman Dervish, Lead Councillor for London Borough of Havering
- Councillor Ian Corbett, Lead Councillor for London Borough of Newham
- Councillor John Howard, Lead Councillor for London Borough of Redbridge
NB – Lead Councillor
In accordance with Section 41 of the Local Government Act 1985, the Authority has nominated from its membership one Member from each of the Constituent Councils to answer questions on behalf of the Authority, put by other Members of the Constituent Councils in the course of council proceedings, pertaining to the discharge of the Authority’s functions for the municipal year.
Daily operations are managed by a team of officers based at Harvey House, London Road, Romford. Legal and financial support is also provided by Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge councils.
For more information or to contact a member of the team go to Contact Us