East London Waste Authority
East London Waste Authority

Accepted Materials

What ID do I need to bring with me?

Proof of residence within the four ELWA boroughs is required to access the RRCs free of charge. A current Council Tax Bill (e-versions shown on electronic devices are acceptable) or driving licence are the only forms of identification accepted at the site. If you do not bring one of these with you may be charged to use the site. If you are unable to provide either form of ID, please contact us at enquiries@eastlondonwaste.gov.uk.

If you are hiring a vehicle to bring to a Reuse and Recycling Centre, please present the hire agreement on arrival.

Van and trailer bookings

If using a van or a trailer, or any vehicle modified to allow it to carry additional volume, you will need to make a booking in advance. For more information and to make a booking, please click here.


At each of the sites Automatic Number Plate Recognition cameras are in operation to help identify vehicles fraudulently disposing of waste. Additionally, all sites are fitted with CCTV cameras which may be used for the detection and prevention of crime.

What kinds of waste are accepted at the Reuse and Recycling Centres?

Household waste

Any items generated from households excluding those items generated from renovation, building or DIY work.

Can I bring it to the Reuse and Recycling Centre?

Reasonable amounts of normal household waste can be reused, recycled and disposed of at the Reuse and Recycling Centre. If using a van or trailer, you will need to make a booking from 14th August 2023.

Restricted household waste

Items or materials that have been generated from building, renovation, or DIY work such as bath tubs, toilets, wash basins, pond materials, windows and doors, structural wood, roofing materials, rubble, soil and asbestos.

Can I bring it to the Reuse and Recycling Centre?

Yes, in limited amounts, but you can only bring it to the Reuse and Recycling Centre of the borough in which you live and if using van or trailer you must make a booking in advance. If using a car, you must contact your local council to check if authorisation is needed using the links below. Please be aware that authorisation will not necessarily be given and you should refer to your local council for response times. Please wait to be contacted before attending a site.

Barking & Dagenham




Commercial waste

Commercial waste is currently being accepted at the Frizlands Lane (Barking & Dagenham) and Jenkins Lane (Newham) Reuse and Recycling Centres only. Commercial Waste is waste generated through commercial activity, whether or not for profit, and includes waste generated by landlords. All Commercial Waste is subject to charges. No Luton vans, flat bed vehicles, vans with tail lifts or tippers of any size are permitted to access any site at this time. 

Before coming to the Reuse and Recycling Centre

During your visit

Behaviour on site

Our staff are on site to help you. Anyone exhibiting threatening, abusive or violent behaviour on site may be denied use of all Reuse and Recycling Centres operated by Renewi.

Details of any offensive behaviour will be passed on to the relevant local authority and if the behaviour persists, the police will be informed.

What can I bring to the Reuse and Recycling Centres and what happens to it?

Items for reuse
We collect some specific items to be reused at the Reuse and Recycling Centres. This means that your unwanted items are passed on to others who need them. Reuse is even more environmentally friendly than recycling and can have a beneficial effect on the local community, creating jobs and generating funds for local charities.

Items for recycling
We collect over twenty different types of material for recycling at the Reuse and Recycling Centres. Recycling means that materials which would otherwise have been thrown away can be made into useful products again and again. By recycling, you are contributing to a cleaner, greener East London, as well as saving energy and raw materials and reducing the amount of waste which needs to be sent to landfill at a higher cost to your local authority.

General Waste
General waste which cannot be reused or recycled on site is accepted and should be placed in the general waste shed. Where possible, this waste is processed through our Mechanical Biological Treatment facilities which extract some recyclable materials and turns most of the remaining waste into alternative fuel.

Asbestos and Hazardous Chemicals
If you have chemicals or asbestos (less than 11.5 m2), please call the City of London Corporation Hazardous Waste Collection and Disposal Service for a free home collection on 020 7332 3433.

Alternatively, double bagged, wetted asbestos can be disposed of at Jenkins Lane, Gerpins Lane and Frizlands Lane Reuse and Recycling Centres with authorisation from the relevant local authority. You must also call the site via the freephone number 0800 389 9918 in advance to arrange your visit . Please note that asbestos is not accepted at Chigwell Road Reuse and Recycling Centre.

What materials are collected for reuse at the Reuse and Recycling Centres?


What materials are collected for recycling at Reuse and Recycling Centres?


Click on your Borough to discover your nearest Recycling Centre

Barking & Dagenham