East London Waste Authority – Data Controller
A Controller determines the purposes and means of processing personal data. Personal data is information that relates to an identified or identifiable individual whereby it is possible to identify an individual directly from that information.
Data collected by ELWA
There are limited circumstances under which ELWA may collect personal information, which may include identity, contact, technical and other forms of data:
- Through online forms on ELWA’s website, personal information may be submitted with the individual’s consent in requesting special access to a Reuse and Recycling Centre (RRC).
- Through complaints or feedback;
- Through Freedom of Information Act or Environmental Information Regulations requests;
- Through employment processes;
- Through procurement processes.
Information submitted via online forms relating to RRC access is sent directly to the Authority identified when completing the form and is not stored on the website.
Special Category data including criminal offence data is only collected for employment purposes and is held by LB Barking & Dagenham, which employs staff on behalf of ELWA.
How data is collected
- Online forms;
- Via third parties such as ELWA’s Constituent Councils.
Use of data
ELWA will not rent, sell or share your personal information. The only instances in which we may securely disclose your information are if we are legally required to do so, in conjunction with current or prospective legal proceedings or in the course of carrying out functions required of a Waste Disposal Authority. Data will always be used under the guiding principles of GDPR:
- Lawfully, fairly and transparently
- Time limited and appropriate to purpose
- Securely and accountably
The GDPR provides the following rights for individuals:
- The right to be informed
- The right of access
- The right to rectification
- The right to erasure
- The right to restrict processing
- The right to data portability
- The right to object
- Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling
More information can be found on the Information Commissioner’s Office website.
If you would like to see a copy of the information that we hold about you, you can make a request by emailing email@example.com or by writing to us at:
East London Waste Authority
1st Floor Harvey House, St Edwards Court
We will request proof of identity before issuing the information. A reasonable fee may be charged for this service.