It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Or so they say, but for the bins it’s a different story…
Did you know we create more than 100,000 tonnes of plastic waste on Christmas Day alone? And it doesn’t stop there – it’s estimated 1 BILLION Christmas cards will end up in the bin too… that’s the equivalent of 33 million trees.
We hate to be the bearer of bad new so, as always, we bring good tidings of great joy! Here you’ll find lots of useful information on know to have a less wasteful Christmas
- GIVE YOUR TIME & MAKE MEMORIES…Spend time not money this holiday and make ever lasting memories with those special to you. Why not offer to help out with some cooking or cleaning making your present far more worthwhile.
- UPCYCLE…turn something old into something new. Don’t go crazy on plastic decs – go Blue Peter style and make it yourself. There’s some great tutorials online for creative ideas… here’s some we found earlier Christmas crafts!
- BUY SECOND HAND…Ever heard One man’s trash is another’s treasure – of course you have, when if comes to Christmas we couldn’t say this enough. This festive period why not visit online marketplaces such as ASOS, Depop or ReLoved. You might just find the perfect something for that someone in your life who simply has everything. Spread that wonderful REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE message through your present giving.
- ETHICAL BUY… Look for alternatives to the products you would usually buy that are more eco-friendly, more ethically better for the planet and the people. Reusable food wraps are high on our wish list this year!
- BUY...hopefully this is your last resort but if you’ve made it here then why not go for a voucher, that way you won’t run the risk of the present you’ve gifted ending up in the bin!
There’s no denying that most of us pile up our plates on Christmas day; making the saying ‘your eyes are bigger than your belly’ entirely true and whilst we scrap off our left overs into the bin do we really spare a thought for food waste at Christmas? Now’s the time we should, with an eye watering equivalent of 260,000 turkeys estimated to be wasted each year wasted food is top of our agenda! So this year our top tips to you are…
PLAN WELL – write a list and check it twice, if you don’t need it don’t buy it.
GET CREATIVE IN THE KITCHEN – there are tonnes of ‘left-over’ themed recipes online to try.
ICE ICE BABY – check your dates and, if you can, freeze when possible. It’s also a great way to make those left overs last that bit longer!