The four boroughs in East London are working hard to provide the best possible service during the COVID-19 crisis. Waste and recycling crews are designated key workers, and they are doing a fantastic job.
As most of us are now staying at home, more household waste will put pressure on our recycling and waste services. It’s down to us to help!
During the COVID-19/coronavirus outbreak it is particularly important to dispose of personal waste, such as used tissues, protective masks and disposable cleaning cloths properly. These items should never go in your recycling bin anyway as they cannot be recycled, and should always go in the general waste bin. If you have COVID-19/coronavirus symptoms, or have tested positive for the virus, you should follow these steps. This is essential to protect our collection and disposal crews from contracting the virus.
- All contaminated tissues and protective masks should be placed in your black bin, separated from the rest of your household waste.
- Tissues and other contaminated products should never be mixed with the household recycling.
- Double bag your general waste bin to avoid the spread.
- Store it at home for at least 72 hours before putting out for collection.
- Dispose of other household waste (including non-contaminated personal waste) as normal.
Other hints and tips:
- Please hold back on that large clear-out if you’re planning one – this will put increased pressure on the waste/recycling services
- The RRCs are still open but please think carefully about whether you need to make the trip or whether it can wait
- If you do need to visit, please make sure you wear a mask and socially distance to others whilst there
- Check your councils website regularly for any changes to your collections
- Use reusable face masks where possible to reduce the amount of waste produced – but remember to wash after each use
- If you do use disposable face masks, please remember to put them in your general rubbish bin
- Continue to wash your hands regularly, maintaining good hygiene when handling rubbish and recycling and keeping your distance when collection workers are doing their collections
- Only buy what you really need during this time
- Squash down boxes and bottles in your recycling to create more space!